All right everyone. Here is my story if you are interested.
Thursday the 29th of September was my Doctor appointment. He said I was dilated to a 3 and 70 to 80% effaced. He said he thought it would be coming soon, because 2nd babys usually come a little sooner than the first. He was going out of town on Saturday. So, I thought, 'well, this happened last time.' I keep dilating, and they thought it would come, and it didn't, do I believe him or not? The effaced part had me scared though because that was a lot, and I dilate quickly I guess. Anyway, it scared me enough to go home and pack my bag that day, put up Jack's crib, and do some laundry. On Saturday Kevin fixed the changing table my dad picked up for us at DI. So, I thought, ok this baby can come now, I'll be ok.
So General Conference Sunday we were planning on going to our monthly Murset Family get together. We were going to meet and have snacks then watch the 2nd session of conference. We celebrate birthdays for the month at this time too. I like to make cakes for the birthday people. Anywho, on Saturday I had baked the cakes to make some mini princess cakes for the birthday girls. So, about 1 in the morning I woke up and was having a contraction that kind of hurt. So I went and slept on the recliner because that helped me in the past to sleep better at night. Well, just as I was about to fall asleep another one would come. I didn't time them or think anything about it, because I had never gone into labor before and didn't really know what to watch for or what my 'true' contractions felt like. I had been having contractions before, but just a tightening of my muscles all over my belly, never accompanied with annoying pains in the back and inside. Anyway, I guess after a while I suspected I might be in labor, but wasn't sure and they were like 15 to 20 minutes apart. Too far apart to go into the hospital, I thought. I was very scared of being sent home you see. So come 6 in the morning and not having gotten much sleep and waking Kevin up to cry on his shoulder, I said screw it, I'm decorating some cakes to get my mind off of this. So I spent maybe an hour decorating the cakes. Now as I was working I couldn't really feel the contractions as much so I thought, there, see, I'm not in labor. But I called my sister anyway to basically ask her if I was in labor. Anyway, she helped a lot.
So I finished with the cakes and thought I'd better sit down and start timing these things to see if they are true contractions and how far apart they are. But then I thought well, I'll take a bath first and see if they go away. When I got out Kevin helped me time them. They were true contractions, about a minute long and about 5 minutes apart. So we decided we had better get to the hospital. So we took Hattie to Kevin's sister's and made arrangements for her, then we headed to the hospital.
That was a weird drive. I think, well, I am not in too much pain and discomfort, and we aren't stressed out too badly. It was a pretty pleasant drive, except that Kevin kept making me laugh and that would hurt. So we got the the hospital, got our bag out and walked up to the phone to talk with someone about letting us in. I said, "I think I'm in labor" and the nurse said, "well you had better come in then." So we proceeded to the waiting room, I changed, she hooked me up to all the monitors and then said, I'm going to check you and see where we are at. Well, I was fully effaced and at an 8.
That got things jumping and moving fast. The problem was that I had tested positive for the GBS (group beta strep) which meant that they needed to pump some antibiotics into me. 2 doses 4 hours apart. I also said that I had wanted an epidural. They got all the iv's in me and an epidural and then we waited, and waited. They decided not to break my water and see how long I would last to see if they could get the second dose of medicine into me before giving birth. Well I lasted long enough and the doctor walked in right as my water broke, and at 4:17 Jack was born. 6 lbs 5 oz and 19.5 inches long.
We had lots of visitors. Hattie was excited to see him. She has been a good helper and loves to hold him.
Getting ready to leave the hospital.
We had to do the billi light thing with Jack. He looked to funny with the eye patches on.
Hattie slept with me in the living room on the coach to watch Jack that night.
His eye things kept slipping all over his little head.
This was after he was born. He had the saddest faces.
He his doing great and eating well, and is starting to get a fast belly. We will go in for his 2 week appointment next week.


6 comments:
That was a lovely story. I'm glad everything went well for you! :)
He pretty much looks just like Kevin.
Congrats, mama!!! I can't believe you handled labor so calmly and decorated those gorgeous cakes in the meantime!
He is so cute and we're so glad he's here. Thanks for letting us come to see you in the hospital.
So glad he is here and all is well. CONGRATULATIONS once again!!
Congrats! I'm glad that it went so well!
CONGRATULATIONS! I LOVE birth stories, and I am so happy you know what it is like to go into labor now. I felt like Scott was my first one that way. So glad you got the beta strep test. A friend was telling me this morning that her daughter with special needs has them because they didn't catch that infection.
Post a Comment