Thursday, April 19, 2012

Container Gardening

Ever since Kevin and I were married I had dabbled in container gardening because we had always been renting a place to live or living in someone else's house.  When we did have a house I only had one year to try my hand at a real garden, which didn't go very well.  My attempts at herbs and other vegetables have had varying degrees of success and failure. I thought that I would just give it up, but then spring hit, and I got the growing bug again.

So this is my attempt at container gardening for this year.  I have decided to grow just what we will eat, and not too much of it.  Thank you to my Dad and Mom, for their help.  My Dad let me use money from his account at Ballard's Nursery buy things to get me started.



Here are the tomato starts that I got from my Dad.  One cherry tomato plant and two different varieties of tomatos.  As you can see below the cherry tomato plant already has some fruit on it.  That was exciting to see that happen.  Hattie has fun finding the fruit that comes on after the flower.  I was over watering them I think, but hopefully I have fixed that this week by not watering them as much.  They looked better today when I went out, so we shall see.


This is my pride and joy.  I am referring to my strawberry pot and plants this time.  I guess I should say, two of my pride and joys.  Every time I look at it I smile and get happy.  Hattie and I have had fun finding the strawberries and then watching them get red, and redder until they are ready to pick.  The first two we got a little excited and picked a little early, but they still tasted great.  This is really doing well.  There are a lot of flowers and fruit popping up all over this.



This is a bay tree in the pot.  I got a start from my dad a year ago and thought that I had killed it.  So I was very happy when I saw is sprout new growth.  In the box is chives and oregano. I haven't tried them yet, but I am excited to.


This is the awesome shelf that I found in my Dad's pile of 'junk'.  It sure looks like junk until he pulls something like this out when I need it. Thanks again dad.  It has been working wonderfully.  I love it.


Hattie wanted to plant flowers and carrots.  This is her little pot of flowers.  We repotted them and her and a friend destroyed them.  I am not too keen to plant them again.


These are one of my dad's experiments this year.  They are suppose to taste like celery.  I have not tried them yet, but they should come in useful for salad's and soups.



Here are some pictures of our family that we took on Sunday to help keep Hattie busy.  Jack is six months old and working on trying to crawl.  He is such a happy smiley boy.  We have been blessed with some great kids.







3 comments:

Maria Nielson said...

We almost bought a pot of strawberries to grow the other day! I've always wanted some potted stuff too, maybe I'll give it a go.
I still want the pattern for your cute shirt!!!

Project Maniac said...

Oh, we picked a strawberry today. Sooooo good!!!

The Yoder's Five said...

Love it! Looks much more manageable to grow stuff in pots! As long as you remember to water it all, haha. *ahem* I am not very good at that. We are going to have our first big garden this year...wish us luck!

PS. I can't believe Jack is 6 months old already!